|Unified Planning Board|
- Class I: The Mayor or the Mayor’s designee in the absence of the Mayor.
- Class II: One of the officials of the municipality other than a member of the governing body to be appointed by the Mayor.
- Class III: A member of the governing body to be appointed by the Borough Council.
- Class IV: Six citizens of the Borough to be appointed by the Mayor.
- The Mayor may appoint four alternate members who shall meet the qualifications of Class IV members of the nine-member Planning Board. Alternate members shall be designated at the time of appointment by the Mayor as “Alternate No. 1,” “Alternate No. 2,” “Alternate No. 3″ and “Alternate No. 4.” The terms of the alternate members shall be for two years, except that the terms of the alternate members shall be such that the term of not more than two alternates shall expire in any one year; provided, however, that in no instance shall the terms of the alternate members first appointed exceed two years. A vacancy occurring otherwise than by expiration of term shall be filled by the appointing authority for the unexpired term only.
- No alternate member shall be permitted to act on any matter in which the member has either directly or indirectly any personal or financial interest. An alternate member may, after public hearing if he requests one, be removed by the governing body for cause.
Alternate members may participate in discussions of the proceedings but may not vote, except in the absence or disqualification of a regular member of any class, except that an alternate member may not vote in the place of a Class I or Class II member if that member is disqualified due to the application involving relief pursuant to Subsection D of Section 57 of P.L. 1975, c. 291 (N.J.S.A. 40:55D-70). A vote shall not be delayed in order that a regular member may vote instead of an alternate member. In the event that a choice must be made as to which alternate member is to vote, alternates shall vote in the order of their number.