(732) 842-0099, Ext. 110
The Sea Bright Building Department is responsible for the enforcement of the building codes as set forth in the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. The Building Department enforces and performs all duties and responsibilities as required by the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code and local building ordinance to ensure compliance.
If you are considering doing any work and are unsure if a permit is required, a call or visit to the Building Department is recommended. The staff will help you through the permit process. Some projects may require prior approvals such as zoning, CAFRA (Coastal Area Facility Review Act) or DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) before a building permit may be issued. An early visit or call will eliminate unnecessary delays in completing your project.
The Building Department office, located in the Municipal Office Complex at 1099 Ocean Avenue, operates Monday through Friday between the hours 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. THE CONSTRUCTION SECRETARY IS AVAILABLE TO RECEIVE PERMITS AND SCHEDULE ALL INSPECTIONS.
When undertaking work on your home, homeowners should be aware that home improvement contractors must be registered with the Division of Consumer Affairs. Homeowners who enter into contracts should be aware and look for the registration numbers on all documents, advertisements and vehicles. Homeowners may check the New Jersey consumer Affairs website at www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ for frequently asked questions and contractor information.
If you are looking for forms from the building department, you can click on the button on the bottom.
- New Building / Additions / Renovations / Alterations
- Electrical & Plumbing Work
- Installation / Removal of Oil Tanks
- Sheds / Garages
- Installation / Replacement of Water Heater, Boiler, Furnace, Fireplace
- Decks (Including Enlarging Existing Decks)
- Windows (When changing size)
Permits must be obtained before the start of work with the exception of emergency replacement of furnaces, boilers and water heaters. The Building Department must be notified of the replacement and permits must be obtained within (5) days.
- Replacing Gutters
- Painting or Trim Work
- Laying Floor Tiles
- Replacing Windows & Doors (Same Size)
- Prior approvals such as Zoning, CAFRA & DEP if necessary must be obtained before building permit submission.
- Completed permit application (Available in the Borough Municipal Building) or at the New Jersey state website: http://www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/licenses/construction/
- Copy of contractors Home Improvement Contractors Registration (Any person engaged in the business of making or selling home improvements must be registered with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs .
- (2) Two sets of construction plans, if necessary, signed and sealed by a New Jersey licensed architect or engineer (Qualified homeowners can draw their own plans [See Section 1-b Inside Building Permit folder]).
Building Permit Review Process
If compliance with the code is determined, the application is approved and the permit can be issued once the appropriate fee has been paid. If completeness or compliance is not met, the application, as submitted, will be denied and the applicant will be notified of the deficiencies. The applicant is required to correct and resubmit the documents for further review.
Please make certain the work is ready when the inspection is requested. Requests for inspection must be made at least (24) hours prior to the time the inspection is desired. The UCC allows (3) working days for inspections to be completed.